Top 5 desktop support technician interview questions with detailed tips for both hiring managers and candidates. This IT help desk technician job description template includes the list of most important IT help desk technician’s duties and responsibilities. Use it to save time, attract qualified candidates and hire best employees. Help-Desk Support, 6%Provided computer help-desk support and technical training on hardware/software to end users. BMC Helix provides a range of tools relevant to the service desk, including incident and problem management, proactive service resolution, knowledge management, smart reporting, digital workplace, and service request management. Let’s look at the service desk support analyst role, including typical responsibilities.
ITIL 4 defines the help desk engineer Desk as an entry and single point of contact for all users, where demand for incident resolution and service requests are received by the service provider. And while self-service portals and AI powered chatbots are all the rage in handling user issues nowadays, there is still room for the human touch—particularly where empathy is required and complexity is encountered. The need for more technical talent is a trend that is being felt across all industries, but it is especially prevalent in the service desk industry. As businesses become increasingly reliant on technology, they are looking for professionals who can help them manage and maintain their systems. IT certifications in support can vary between college courses and apprenticeships.
Outlook and salary
It offers the opportunity to work with a variety of technologies, solve problems, and help people. You’ll also learn a lot on the job, which is important for staying current in your field. Service desk engineers can take advantage of this trend by becoming familiar with the latest technology and how to use it effectively. They can also learn how to use technology to communicate with customers in new ways, such as through social media or chatbots. The role of a Service Desk Engineer is one that requires constant attention to detail. They are responsible for handling customer inquiries and complaints, as well as providing technical support for the company’s products or services. Working with our NOC team, responsible for escalations on all desktop, network and server infrastructure service tickets to ensure service levels are maintained.
- Less commonly earned degrees for help desk engineers include information technology degrees or business degrees.
- An IT help desk assists all users in troubleshooting a number of IT problems and issues.
- Responsible for day-to-day management, resource planning and work allocation to meet agreed service levels.
- Additionally, a senior infrastructure engineer has the authority to make decisions, train and supervise junior engineers, establish goals and timelines, provide technical support, and implement policies and guidelines.
While it’s true that most help desk engineers have a college degree, it’s generally possible to become one with only a high school degree. In fact, one out of every six help desk engineers did not spend the extra money to attend college. Here are examples of responsibilities from real help desk engineer resumes representing typical tasks they are likely to perform in their roles. Of course, the service desk role is technical in nature, but it is obvious that softer skills play an increasingly important role in achieving excellence. Communication, business context, emotional intelligence and marketing are just a few of the capabilities that any person working in this role needs to be continually trained on. Acting as a point of contact to support service users and customers reporting issues, requesting information, access, or other services.
IT Help Desk Technician responsibilities include:
All help desk personnel need excellent problem-solving, communication and interpersonal skills, along with patience, a customer-friendly attitude and the ability to work in a team environment. Respond to requests for technical assistance via phone, chat, or email. To be successful in this role, you need to have strong communication skills, be able to think critically, and be comfortable working with technology.
- Work with our Service Desk, Documentation, Remote Monitoring/Management and all other system software to accept and resolve L1 and L2 service requests, incidents and problems.
- Meeting with clients to diagnose software, networking, or hardware issues.
- They can also learn how to use technology to communicate with customers in new ways, such as through social media or chatbots.
- Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific duties and requirements.
- And while self-service portals and AI powered chatbots are all the rage in handling user issues nowadays, there is still room for the human touch—particularly where empathy is required and complexity is encountered.
Some people never grow the thick skin you need to have to deal with some of the backlash that comes. It hopefully teaches the people starting off how sometimes you can do your best to serve and still not make people happy. Unfortunately, even when things work out there is generally not much reward.
What to expect from the role
Once you’ve obtained the level of education you’re comfortable with, you might start applying to companies to become a help desk engineer. We’ve found that most help desk engineer resumes include experience from Booz Allen Hamilton, Endsight, and Alene Candles. Of recent, Booz Allen Hamilton had 5 positions open for help desk engineers.
- On average, desk support technicians earn a lower salary than help desk engineers.
- This means that the top-earning help desk engineers make $66,000 more than the lowest earning ones.
- This provides an overview of how the organization works and what the customer expects from the technical department that can only be learned with hands-on experience.
- We are looking for a tech-savvy help desk technician to be responsible for providing technical assistance with computer systems, hardware, and software.